"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision." Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, July 07, 2008

Destination Wedding #3


After Spending a delightful drive up the Pacific Coast Highway with Husband in a convertible mustang, we dove into a Brewery in Healdsburg, California for a Sonoma Burger and garlic/parmesan fries. I had two glasses of a local Chardonnay and Husband tried the local lager.
We ended that evening with me reading "Angels&Demons" (I know) and hanging out in our modern room called Hotel Duchamp. (Pictured)
We woke up early on Friday and rented bikes from the local bike shop "Spoke Folks". We rode on "hybrid" bikes which are mostly a road bike with a mountain bike handlebar. I did not fall - EVEN ONCE. We had a great bike ride through the amazing Dry Creek Valley wine country. Including some wineries I had heard of, like SIMI, but most were small single vinyard wineries. We stopped at one winery for a tasting after about 3 miles on our bikes. I tasted several Cabernet on the reserve list at Pascalaqua Vineyards. I had my first Primotivo (think) which is a varietal I had never tried. I gathered my composure at this beautiful winery and gardens as I was profusely sweating and red. Anyway, after the 5 tastes we were back on the bikes heading through the end of the final 3 mile loop toward our hotel. Shortly after turning our bikes into the bike shop (and admiring the $2,000 bikes) we walked back to the Hotel where no less than 4 wineries were sampled by my palate. Husband was not into this - but I did have him taste the difference of the Savinguon Blanc and Chardonnay to prove my point mostly.
La Crema, Steven&Walker, Thumbprint Cellars and (of course) Kendall-Jackson. The best wine I sampled was from... oh who the hell can remember at this point? I was drunk! We bought a wine called "Threesome" from Thumbpring Cellars which (no you horny toads) was named because of the three varietals used to make it.
Ok, then we fell asleep. I woke up at 6:15 and the party started at 6:30 so we RUSHED to get ready. I was in a red dress and Husband wore black pants (true no jeans) and a black short sleeve button down shirt. The party was held at the Hotel Healdsburg with cocktails and dinner. Dinner was served family style by the famous Dry Creek Kitchen and was delicious from tip to top. Barbecued Chicken Thighs and fresh california green beans topped my list. The toasts were composed and brilliant. The guests were gorgeous and so deeply nice.
Then off to the bar where the youngens were doing shots (oh I think I did have something called a Nippler but hell) then I stumbled home on Husband's arm with the hiccups!

Yes, sad not proud.

Saturday I woke up and went to get a pedicure. Mostly because Agent Larson made me promise to get one before the wedding. We drove (in the Mustang) down through Alexander Valley wine country which was the wrong way because we were looking for ANDERSON Valley and I was a little hung over and trusted the Blackberry over Husband's sense of direction. (The only fight though.) After 2 hours in the car we arrived at the Anderson Valley Brewing Company and after getting "car sick" ...ahem... I sampled their locally brewed favorite Blond and watched Husband play frisbee golf. Ok, everyone, I know this is a shock, but I have never really done this before. And, it was fun. And, he is REALLY good. Really.

The Wedding (Hart and Nicole 7-5-08) was held at the Barndiva. A beautifully restored barn in the heart of Healdsburg (smack dab north of napa and sonoma). The gardens were adorned with rose petals, cala lilies, orchids and all. Hart looked nervous and he looked so happy. Hart started to cry when he walked down the aisle with his mother. When Nicole walked down the aisle with her father everyone actually gasped at her beauty and her composure. She was literally shining with happiness. They wrote their own vows and had their friend perform the ceremony. A touching moment was when Hart was choked up and couldn't speak his vows, Nicole tenderly leaned in and wiped a tear from his cheek with her thumb. So we know that they will take care of each other and will share their love and fears.

The party began immediately after the kiss with everyone congratulating the bride and groom and their families. The party guests came from ALL over the country (including asshat man)! The party was divine, fabulous appetizers and the dinner was a three course sit down dinner all grown locally in Sonoma County. The Arctic Char was served on a bed of Forbidden Rice with a mango salsa, and the Filet of Beef was served with potatoes au gratin. Fabulous!!

After a night of dancing and drinking, again, a stumble home.

We drove through Napa Valley on our way back to Oakland yesterday. We stopped at one winery where I tasted 3 Chards, 1 Syrah, 1 Petite Sirah, and 1 Port... and a brewery (see compromise works) and had a delightful day. (until they lost my bag)

What a crazy and lovely trip. We celebrated our 9th anniversary on this trip and it was so great to be together.

To Hart and Nicole,
Thank you for sharing such a lovely experience with us. You both make the world a better place because of you. I hope you remember this day with joy in your hearts for all the years you will be together.
Our Love...

7 comments:

Nik said...

Wow! It sounds beautiful. What a great weekend. I can't believe you've never been disc golfing with Doug. What other excuse does one have to walk super slow around the woods.
I am extremely jealous of the vacation and the lovely wedding. The tear touch was very nice. I'm glad they are so happy. And that you are too.

Nik said...

Oh. And Arctic Char is my second favorite fish. Next to Sablefish. Oh, and maybe striped bass. Where does one get fish in Flag? We'll find out.

JohnandLinda said...

Val,

Spoke Folk is one of our accounts. We did their jerseys.

Once it was my birthday and we went on sales calls to Healdburg. We drank way too much Seghesio Old Vine Zin (maybe that was the wine you forgot?). Luckily we were staying close by. John gave me wine glasses inscribe with the date-very sweet.

Did you by any chance go to the bakery on the square? It's the bomb.

Valerie said...

I bet it's beautiful there when it's January! I can't wait to go back.

JohnandLinda said...

In January we will be home, and you can visit us, including our deluxe new guest bathroom which should be done by then. (Hey, it's only 6 months away...they can't work THAT slowly.)

January can be very green and pretty. Sometimes it rains or is foggy but it usually isn't every day.

It's about a 2 hour drive to Healdburg from here.

P said...

wonderful blog! Happy anniversary celebration! I miss you and also successfully rode a bike down horns point road. Lucky for me Angie my roomate here likes Chardonnay so we have our own winery :). Sounds like you had a great time. Traveling is in the stars for us this month Capricorn.

Nik said...

What were destination weddings 1 & 2?

Blog Archive