"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision." Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, January 26, 2009

Labels are for soup

Pick one. And one only.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Omnivore, Slow Food, Whole Food, Organic, or Walmart.
We have created a society where decisions are made, and forever and always you are deemed "pork salad, no rice, extra cilantro".
But that's not how life works. We make changes.
For example, I now eat green peppers. Yep. Chopped up and cooked! Even on pizza.
So when someone makes defiant and loud proclamations about something they do or do not eat (raw tomatoes, black olives, green onions etc.) I get irritated.
Years ago, I would plan dinner parties around every single guests peculiar taste buds. Now, if you have a problem with mushrooms or skin on your chicken, I will probably ask you to try it. (This stemming from the fact that my children only eat things that are white or that come from a kids meal sack). OR I just won't invite you over. I do remember throwing a very large FIT over black beans. But that's my point... I'm changing!
But much like decisions on which reality tv show you must watch... trying a raw tomato or a black olive from time to time may just make you realize you like it. You MIGHT even stumble upon Rock of Love, or Bad Girls Club and realize it's intensely amusing. (Don't even get me started on Real Housewives... I love 'em all)
This, somehow, defines my struggles of late. I won't pick just one. If I pick vegan, I will crave steak.
How do I know if I now like Ethiopian cuisine and that it was just a bad date? or bad ordering? that ruined it for me.
I'm not saying al Labels are flexible... but most are. And, most are incorrect ways for us to categorize everything into little tiny boxes.

And, like Nip/Tuck, labels are not for everyone.

3 comments:

Dr Write said...

Yeah!! I can't give up anything really, and I've tried. Vegan, vegetarian, high protein, no this no that. The only thing I am (to my core) is Anti-Walmart. Sorry.
But everything else I could try. Maybe. But not liver. :)

Nik said...

OK. I'm fine with this. I even like green peppers. But don't tell your mom.

I think I could eat squirrel if I had enough salt. And grubs. Cooked. With salt. (I've been watching Survivor Man).

Although I'm with the Dr. here about the Walmart.

P said...

Ok I have been dared to eat every animal served and offered in china. I'm not sure about animals I've had as pets. roomie just turned down eggs flourentine with homemade hollandaise. he just had an english muffin.

Blog Archive