"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision." Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Have you been a Dad today?


I'm upset about these ads. I understand the need and desire for the "National Fatherhood Initiative" to pronounce that being a Dad requires work. I am insulted that this organization thinks that being a dad requires the following: get off couch, turn off television, play catch, dance a little, lay back on couch holding baby. Done.
There is more to being a Father than playing ball. And you don't see ads with the "How to do it all" campaign featuring the working mom with the cell in one hand ordering pizza with the dishes and laundry and mail and somehow broccoli in all her other hands. I haven't even started about how many of the ads feature our african-american dads. Jeez! I think it imperative that we shirk the Mom vs Dad stereotypes and promote PARENTING. It's hard. It's worth it. But don't have more babies than you can support emotionally and financially. I can see the ad now... starring Miss Jr. Palin!

3 comments:

P said...

A plus BLOG! Wahoo. No wonder your blogs take so long to come out, you really do them right! I agree with you, however, wonder if some of my students would have benefited from being held on the couch like that. But kudos to you and your many arms, its quite the miracle.

Nik said...

I know. That's how I'm going to practice being a dad. Lying down. We all need practice at being a dad. No wonder Republican men are pro-family. To them, it's a nap.

Dr Write said...

Gosh, according to these ads, I mother a lot. I mother all the time. I'm mothering now. Just...let..me...move that book...okay. Now I can stretch out. Where's the wine in the ad? Usually I can't mother without wine. Not after 5, I mean.
Wow am I a good mother. I love to lay down. Who doesn't?

Blog Archive